Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Reading

Been a long time since I have written here, as my friend Jen kindly reminds me from time to time.

Great aha moment: this week I realized that the older you are the more money you need. And I don't mean for trips to Monaco.

Also, just now, thinking that one of life's greatest pleasures is knowing that I have a wonderful new Rankin waiting for me, Bleeding Hearts. It is not a Rebus (can't have everything) and the first person narrator is a hit man, but hey, it is Rankin at his deliberate casual best.

I have read quite a pile of books since writing here over 2 months ago. Some I want to note.

I am debating whether to make any New Year's resolutions. Last year I resolved to read more poetry and laugh more. If the resolution game gets any more serious than that, I know I won't follow through. I am looking forward to the new year--aside from the poetry and a few laughs, 2006 was not an upper.

ION, my 10 year old granddaughter just won her first game of Continental. Yahoo! I used to play that game with some cutthroat players and it is a challenge, whatever one's age. I am impressed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hee -- I guess more than three months is technically over two months ago, so I won't give you too hard of a time. I'm just glad you're posting again.

what sort of game is Continental? I'd never heard of it before you mentioned it.

Patty said...

Thanks Jen, for pointing out my discrepancy. I had a draft just sitting there...

After I learn some fancy tricks (ahem) I can link to the site for the rules of Continental.

Short explanation: Continental is played like Rummy, but with additional decks--the more people, the more decks. And the last hand is the heart-stopper--have to lay down all your cards, in sequence, to win. It helps to have lots of good munchies while playing. It is a great game for a family at the beach for a long weekend.