Monday, January 01, 2007

It's not too late!

For New Year's Resolutions. But, Gad, how hard it is to commit! (I am the Queen of Wimps, when it comes to committing to any project.)

As noted elsewhere, last year I made only two resolutions: to laugh more and to read more poetry. I was actually able to carry out that regimen. I am going to go way out on a limb this year: I resolve to read at least one non-fiction book a month and to blog at least once a week. Hmmm. 12 non-fiction books and 52 posts. I guess I won't think of those numbers. Just do it.

My friend Jen, who is wonderfully supportive always, gave me a tip about the non-fiction: read for half an hour during the day. All my non-fiction reading is done at bedtime, a necessary ritual for me. But I am usually too tired to tackle non-fiction, which seems to demand more--consciousness? If I actually sit up to read a non-fiction book, surely I will absorb more.

About blogging: I know people who manage to post incredible blog entries several times a week. (Image: grey-haired old lady, on hands and knees, forehead to the floor, venerating their accomplishment.)

But I am not setting myself up for failure. Once a week will be an improvement. If I do more, then Tra La La!

8 comments:

Jen said...

how did I miss this post?? I think those are great attainable resolve-thingies!!

And I have a non-fiction recommendation for you -- I found it every bit as absorbing as a THRILLER. It's Here, There, and Everywhere by Geoff Emerick, who was the sound engineer for all the Beatles' major recordings. I just finished it. SO GOOD! He manages to mix his observations of the band with the technical aspects of what he was doing (and the innovations he made) in such a readable, interesting way. recommended, even if you're not really a Beatle fan.

Jen said...

I just thought of another one that I recently finished and really enjoyed: Awake in the Dark by Roger Ebert. It's a collection of essays that he's done over the years. Whether you agree with him or not on movies (my taste lines up with his about 2/3 of the time), he is really passionate about them. He's smart about them, but never pretentious. It was a great Get Reaquainted With Movies book for me. (since one of my 2007 goals is to watch more movies!). Anyway, he has a really smart but approachable style that I liked a great deal.

Patty said...

Jen: Heh heh. You missed it because it was in draft nearly a month! I posted it on the 27th, I think

Thanks for the non-fiction tip. Since I am a great Beatle fan, I look forward to that book.

Stay tuned for thoughts about my first non-fiction foray.

Patty said...

About the Ebert book--I saw an ad for that and I know I will enjoy dipping into it. Again, thanks for the suggestion.

I spent the day (workmen were here, changing out all our windows, so it was about 50 degrees) browsing opera CDs, DVDs and books at our wonderful library. My huge list should lead to another selection.

My trouble is not interests--it is using the energy There. Uh, should I say "discipline?"

Jen said...

here's another non-fiction rec. for you -- How to Read like a Writer by Francine Prose. (she also wrote that Lives of the Muses I was telling you about.) I'm only on the third chapter, but it is FANTASTIC. I had to wait forever for it from the library, but it has been worth it so far.

Jen said...

I thought of another one -- did you ever read The Dead Beat by Marilyn Johnson? I liked it a lot.

(and I finished the francine prose, which made me want to read about 80 other books. it's dangerous, is what I'm sayin...)

Patty said...

I have the Ebert book now (along with 100 others, crying for attention). I also have a hold on another of his books called (I think: I Hated, Hated that Movie.

So, is The Dead Beat about music, books or movies, tee hee.

Oh, Lordy--my house will tip over--more books for my endless list? I can't wait.

Jen said...

Ha ha! you kid, but it's even better!! it's about.... obituaries!! It's really charming, though. I wrote it up on my blog -- I'll find you a linky, hang on.. Here you go!