Sunday, May 21, 2006

Just doodling

I have heard this song by Paul Simon twice in the last week and now I can't get this lyric out of my head: "Who's gonna love ya when your looks are gone?" It repeats over and over and over.

About Paul Simon: It seems the wheel has turned and his social commentary is in style again? The other song of his I heard was about the environment. But none of that song stuck in my head like the line above.

Non sequitur: I wonder if a female feline's fur is softer than a males. My sable cat has very silky fur, unlike her stepbrother. All the cats in this neighborhood (six regularly hang out in my back yard) are males, and none are as sweetly soft as she is. [Obviously I am no scientist and also a little nutty to boot, or I wouldn't even entertain such speculation.]

'Nother non sequitur: Played in the yard a while this afternoon, finally putting out plants that have been languishing, including some I got for Mother's Day. It was about 70 degrees and delightful. What is it about digging in the dirt? We have a combo of plants in the ground and plants in pots. Somehow the number of pots keeps increasing. My plum tree got another spritz of Mentholatum, to keep off the ants that keep attacking it. It has 8 plums on it, that I am treating like golden eggs. I am not an ardent, obsessive gardner, like my daughter, but I love looking out our back window and seeing flowers, esp. those that over-flow the container, like Million Bells. Two of the pots with plants that wintered over were so huge that I could hardly get them down our back steps. I have to pace myself, or I will find myself unable to go out and water the precious plants we have.

And a last non-sequitur: Yesterday watched what I think of as the Keira Knightley version of Pride and Prejudice. I thoroughly enjoyed it. And afterward wondered: why? Why does that Austen stuff appeal to an almost-67 yo woman in 2006? Well, it was funny. On first viewing I enjoyed the scenery and costumes. It was romantic. (We all have a seam of romanticism lurking somewhere, but I am an unabashed romantic/cynic.) It was not only romantic, a few moments were almost steamy.

I wondered about the cuts and changes a bit--sure that made that version more palatable to a contemporary audience, but what was lost. Heck, I decided, I don't care. I even found the bit tacked on, the Mrs. Darcy refrain acceptable.

I kept thinking that people of that day did not talk like that--but what do we know, really, about how they sounded? We just have Austin's (and other's) word for it, right?

It was good entertainment, an afternoon well spent.

No comments: