Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Two old movies

Yesterday I watched Annie Hall, with many interruptions--such as four hours of work. I have not seen it for decades so I was surprised at how much I had forgotten. It is still an amazing work. Brilliant. Very funny and inventive. Few films yank in the viewer the way it does--with the street interviews, the scenes from Alvie's childhood, and his stand-up bits. The throw-away lines were hilarious--for instance, their dividing their buttons and his being all 'Impeach Nixon, Impeach Reagon, etc.'

I recall someone criticizing Keaton's acting as not "really being acting," when she won her Oscar. Hah!

What a sad surprise, too, how moving the ending was--Alvie's loss of that wacky girl was so typical of losses of that period. Any period?

Annie Hall evoked a time and a style so familiar....We stood in line to see Zelig and were just as annoying, for sure, as that guy in line for The Sorrow and the Pity, discussing of course Woody Allen's oeuvre.

The other movie which I saw today, is Say Anything. I missed it when it first came out, though I was always taken by the emblematic scene of him with the getto blaster, in the previews. The film was not predictable and it was memorable. I loved the ending that left me--and I would assume most viewers--wondering if Lloyd Dobler's and Diane Court's romance lasted even as long as Alvie's and Annie's.

No comments: