Saturday, September 23, 2006

Donuts

What are the odds that I would read two books in a row, both chosen at random, that revolve around donuts?

Even stranger is that first one was a Jennifer Crusie, Bet Me,and the second one was by A. M. Homes, This Book Will Save Your Life.

My daughter is a Crusie fan and sent over Bet Me. I don't ordinarily read romances but I thought what the hell and then read it every free minute and finished it in about 24 hours. All the while I kept thinking 'what am I doing?' alternating with 'she is really a smart writer' and 'brilliant' and 'they should make a movie of this.'

The next book on the stack was the Homes. It was one of those mystery books. That is, a book I put on hold because I had read something about it which struck me, sometime, somewhere. I could not recall anything which would suggest why I might like a book with a title like a self-help book. (Not that I have anything against self-help books--a couple of those may have saved my life. The jury is still out.) I picked it up, began to read it and soon was completely involved in the picaresque quest of Richard Novak. I read it as fast as possible right to the end (yeah, like the Crusie) in about 24 hours.

I got the feeling while reading the Homes that she herself just may have an idea about her book being turned into a movie. But that aside, I was intrigued with Homes' writing, her completely believable characters and the poignancy of Novak's dilemma of how to live after becoming completely numb. How to relate to human beings other than his cleaning lady. His primal scene with his son Ben was a no-holds barred view of what people in families can do to one another.

In her aknowledgements at the end of the book, Homes cited people who inspired her and mentioned Amy Hempel, who is one of my favorite writers. (I keep buying copies of Reasons to Live as gifts for people.)

All the while I was reading This Book Will Save Your Life I kept thinking that her style was so familiar. Homes strings together these odd scenes, each more poignant than the last. Short vignettes, each with impact that is very reminiscent of the emotional blows of Hempel.

If you read it, let me know what you think of the ending. I am hoping for a sequel.

Oh, about those donuts. In the Cruisie they are Krispy Kremes. In the Homes they are gourmet donuts, hand-crafted by a fellow named Anhil. Enough said.

1 comment:

Jen said...

I've never read Homes OR Hempel -- I'll have to check them out.

I know what you mean about Crusie. She's addictive and fun, and I know from reading her blog and yahoo group that she puts a tremendous amount of thought and work into the reasons why her characters do the things they do (which is something I think a lot of authors don't bother with). Sometimes the crazy hijinks are a little much, but often they are just the ticket. I've really enjoyed reading the joint blog that she keeps with Bob Mayer (the he wrote/she wrote blog), but I couldn't get into their book at all which made me a little sad. But I think I'm in a weird reading place right now anyway, so it could just be me. (I find I'm reading a lot of non-fiction and short stories, believe it or not, and everything is taking me forever. maybe my fiction brain is in need of repair.)