Saturday, February 10, 2007

Videos and Meerkats

I just watched the short IFILM video of the three 40 day-old white tiger kittens, in the Buenas Aires zoo. Ah, the wonders of the internet. I could have sat here for a long while, spying on those kittens. (The exquisite mother guarded them jealously and was not well-pleased at all the attention they were getting.) One of them is nearly purely albino--just a few pale stripes on its tail (don't know the sex of those cuties) and little grey eyebrows, which remind me of No theater make-up.

After that I confess to watching the video of former Pres. Bush smacking (not grabbing, as they say in the blurb) Terry Hatcher's butt. Since he seemed to hardly be able to stand, much less give chase, I doubt his gesture gave her much cause for worry. Maybe it will be something to tell her grandchildren? "In 2007 I was such a babe that a man who had been president patted my behind."

Oh, and there was a video of a pair of skeletons discovered in Northern Italy,thought to be young lovers, locked for 5,000 years in an embrace. Which I think gives the lie to Marvell's famous lines about the grave being a fine and private place where none embrace. No longer private, for sure.

There were many videos to choose from, including another I watched, of a marmalade cat trying to lick a parakeet--said parakeet protected by glass, apparently. {I am always a sucker for cats!)

Like other seemingly useless activities, I could become completely addicted to watching videos on my computer. Luckily I seldom wander into the video websites known and loved by friends and family, since I accomplish so little, as it is.

I had gotten online, actually, to look up Meerkats, since we are hooked on the Animal Planet on-going series about those adorable critturs. (Though watching the matriarch eat a beatle as big as a soup plate is kind of off-putting) Which brings me to Wikipedia: "The meerkat or suricate is a small mammal and a member of the mongoose family. It inhabits all parts of the Kalahari Desert in southern Africa. A group of meerkats is called a "mob" or "gang". (Sneaky, huh, how I started talking about Meerkats and then switched to my real topic?) I have never ventured to contribute to any of the vast quantities of info to be found there, but I appreciate so much having that resource available. I don't know much about how or who, but thank whoever for all help past present and future. Thank you, Wikipedia for all the info and references (maybe I will actually read that book in which the gal says Meerkats are her faves) that keep me reaching for more.

No comments: