Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Glorying in the glorious day

I got out to run an errand--pick up tickets to the Di Camillo lecture--and it was glorious! What a wonderful day! Too good to miss. Absolutely perfect! The temperature, the sun the sky, the flowers, the birds--all of them singing for a mate--or to celebrate the one they have, like the red-headed finch I saw, serenading his less showy wife.

I came home fired up and diddled a little in the yard. We are having a time attracting birds, whereas we have always had a yard teeming with them. Could it be the cats all the time prowling out there?

After I emptied the feeder that none of the birds seem to find attractive, and refilled it with thistle seed, I took a little time to enjoy the wild life. Our double kitchen windows look out on the yard. A squirrel, tail held high, nibbling away at the sunflower seed I dumped in a spot that nothing ever seems to grow in. And a pair of robins, the female perched on the bird bath, the very showy male across the fence, on the broken-down pear tree that is blooming there. A chicadee hanging out in the plum tree, and then making fast forays to one of the feeders. Back and forth, one seed at a time. Most beautiful, seen through the binocs, a white crowned sparrow, so plump! on the fence.

For me, the star of the yard is that aforementioned plum tree. My daughter gave me that tree, and a cedar tub, two years ago. This is the third year I have had it and it is blooming for the first time! I have no idea if it will bear fruit or if it is merely ornamental (she doesn't either; I called her to check) but I love the white flowers, which cover every branch.

So, I am gazing out there at this idylic scene, but what is that, creeping through the fence? Ah, yes, the neighbor's canny little black neutered male, with a red collar, his eye fixed on the squirrel. He creeps closer and closer and the squirrel ignores him , making a dash for it at the last minute, after a few more bites of sunflower seeds. By which time the robin is already gone. The cat crouches by the bird bath, to await more prey.

I think I will buy that cute kitty a present--a little jingle bell.

No comments: