Thursday, April 20, 2006

I don't get out much

Yesterday was magnificent and we had errands to run--trip to PT, and to the vet, to take Patchie. Not really fun stuff. It was so nice, though, with the breeze and the flowering trees everywhere where there weren't burgeoning green leaves, that despite worries about the cat and our continued mobility, I saw many things to amuse me. Like at Kaiser a white Scottish terrior, with a tiny miniature white Scottish terrier racing to keep up. (OK--I am easily amused.) Downtown, someone moving in a small station wagon with all this stuff piled on top: a leather drum, half a dozen bicycles, wheels spinning, and topping it all, about 200 hangers in a variety of colors. Oh, for a camera to capture that sculpture!

I had skipped Yoga yesterday because we were running late for our first appointment. It would be so easy to make an excuse every day, but I try never to skip more than one day--any more and the habit will be lost. I need the Yoga too much to get out of that habit, which has been long in coming.

I sometimes wonder why I bother. Ever closer to shedding my mortal coil, I can see the daily deterioration in the mirror and certainly feel it in my joints. Despite stories about the (rare?) 72 yo running marathons, or the 90 yo still lifting weights at the gym, realistically, my back knees and hands are not going to ever feel the way they did when I was 40.

So why do I bother? This morning, after all, working with the Rodney Yee tape it seemed especially ridiculous. He looks to be around 30 sitting there relaxed, on the tape and here I am, nearly 67, with knees that won't ever get any closer to the floor, while sitting in simple cross-legged pose, and hips that ache so badly, while sitting in simple cross-legged pose, that the ache completely fills my consciousness. (I always end with a chair corpse pose, which takes the pull off those sad muscles.)

But earlier, I was able to do that cobra right along with him. Hah!

I get up feeling better than when I got down on my purple mat, and thinking who knows? maybe eventually these old hips will not hurt so much, sitting there in simple cross-legged pose.

No comments: