Thursday, April 27, 2006

How to Avoid Making Art (or Anything Else You Enjoy)

This is a hilarious take on the excuses we all offer for the decisions we make. I nearly passed this up--in fact got all the way out the door--when I saw it on the shelf of the Hollywood library, while picking up the Di Camillo tickets. But I had leafed through it--OMG, that was me on every page. I popped back in and checked it out, then read it on the bus, probably convincing my fellow riders that I was nutso, since I was soon laughing out loud. They would have really thought I was nutso if they had known I was laughing at myself!

The text is by Julia Cameron (of The Artist's Way fame) and the cartoons are by her sister Elizabeth.

Here a few sample excuses (I am just opening the door randomly, to any page):
How to avoid making art? Make your first project really BIG.
Burn yourself out in nurturing others so much that when you hear Florence
you think Nightingale not art.
Watch TV instead of the movie in your mind.
Choose someone who feels their dreams and goals are far more important than yours.
Demand that what you do be absolutely original, totally brilliant, and never done before.
Demand 8 pristine studio hours before you will pick up a brush.
Focus on how much is left, not how much is done.
Under no circumstances make any art just for fun.

* * *
Well, I could go on and on--I read myself on every page. The book is a hoot, with all the different creatures in the cartoons. (What is that one on the cover? A hippo?)

4 comments:

Jen said...

ha ha ha! That list is cracking me up.

Patty said...

That is just a few of the cartoon captions! The book is a tonic, I tell you. Kind of a timely spring tonic, like the old sassafras tea my grandfather used to insist on.

Anonymous said...

I happened upon your blog by accident using the 'next blog' button, but I'm glad I did. Thanks for the art avoidance quote ... I think every artist can identify with those.

Karen

Patty said...

Karen, I'm glad you just happened by. Thank you for the comment!