Monday, March 12, 2007

Office Space

I finally watched Office Space today and it did me good. I woke up (late) in terrible pain and wanted to go back to bed. But watching that movie was a better option. I had intermittent mental hiccups of laughter while toiling away later. (Smiling internally is better than not smiling at all.)

I love that Ron Livingston! He was the main reason to watch Stand-off. (Is that gone for good, or just for the season?--even checking the uh, official, website, I could not tell). Heck, I even watch that cell-phone commercial because he's in it. Won't somebody give that boy more roles?

But I digress. I think Office Space should be mandatory viewing for anyone who works 9 to 5. The movie is actually pretty mild, though, compared to the real thing. I once applied for a job with all those cubicles--the supervisor was elevated so that he?she? could see what people were doing at all times. As I stood there shuddering, I knew I could not work there...But when I finally found a job I figured I could live with, I did not escape those tedious morale building meetings where they urge the employee to put on more steam, for the company. Then there was the dress code...Argh! I totally sympathized with Anniston's character about her "flair."

The movie is one I could watch another time or two. Which I hear is what people are doing.

9 comments:

Jen said...

ha ha ha! I love that movie. I love the part where his evil boss says, "I hear you've been missing a lot of work" and his reply is "I wouldn't say I've been MISSING it." hee hee hee.

Jen said...

Oh, I almost forgot -- did you ever see Band of Brothers? I hear Ron Livingstone was really good in that. (but have not seen it myself.)

Patty said...

Jen, about "missing it?": Yeah, that was so funny--and true. Also, the recurrent motif of Milton's stapler was nervously hilarious.

Jen, about Band of Brothers: Naw, I haven't seen that. I just watched a IMDb trailer, but didn't see RL. The library has a bzillion copies, though, so I will check that out. It looks like a great series--probably not cheery.

Anonymous said...

I love the movie. Especially when he takes down the office wall and gets a view :)

Standoff returns April 6th at 8/7c

Patty said...

Anonymous: I totally agree. That was so great. Bustin' out of that box, that constriction, that coffin!

Patty said...

Oh, Anonymous, thank you for the heads-up about Stand Off. I look forward to it. I do like the female lead, too. Hasn't has her nose planed.

Anonymous said...

Standoff returns this Friday, June 8th at 9pm EST. Fox has finaaly decided to air the new episodes so you can see some more of Ron Livingston's work. Standoff has a chance if the ratings are high so let everyone know that it's returning.

Anonymous said...

The new episodes of STANDOFF are coming back!!!

Friday June 8th!!! 9pm!!

Woohoo! I can't wait to see what's next for my two favorite negotiators!!

Patty said...

Eryn: Thanks to your comment I remembered to watch Stand Off tonight. I am so sorry they are not continuing that series! Maybe if enough people tune in for the next few episodes they will reconsider.

By the way, Jen, in the period since this post, I did see Band of Brothers, on the History channel. Livingstone has a major role--as a drunk. That is a good series. A little hard to take, but that's war...