Wednesday, March 07, 2007

The Yo Factor

Tonight on American Idol judge Randy Jackson complained that one of the contestants lacked the "Yo" factor--she had no "Wow."

Sometimes on that show they seem to be pressing all the contestants into the same mold--over the top Wow and lots of YO! with no room for a crooner or a Broadway musical sort of singer. But I know what he meant. They defined some of the Yo/Wow factor, actually: Talent, passion, believability.

All of the contestants have talent in abundance (think Lekisha, Melinda, Jordin...)--but some have yet to find a way to express who they are--to demonstrate their individuality. One contestant that impresses me immensely, even though I am not particularly fond of her style, is Gina. Right from the beginning she was intensely motivated to give everything she had to the contest. She was willing to push herself and also to listen to advice on what she needed to do to do her very best. Tonight she was able to shine with all her light.

I believe I know who will win, but I dread the count down, really. I hate seeing people drop out. During this contest I am torn between loving the talented and feeling sad for the underdog.

No comments: