Tuesday, March 06, 2007

True Confession

I'm a couch potato. Between 8 and 10 I can nearly always be found in front of the tube. But this is the first season that I have gotten hooked by (gasp!) American Idol. And, oh, yeah! voting for my favorites.

When my son told me his family watched American Idol I was astonished. (Picture eyes rolling.) But at this point in time I am trying for viewing that is more upbeat--Discovery or Animal Planet, instead of human disasters or infuriating politics on CNN. Normally during the 8 o'clock slot I would be watching NCIS--but I can always watch that in re-runs, is my reasoning. The music on American Idol is the draw obviously. Songs I've never heard--and doubt if I will again.

I have to fight my impulse to vote for the underdog. That little thing that the judges do after each song is nerve-wracking. Some of the criticism seems constructive. Randy Jackson is pretty balanced, though I don't always agree with him. Paula Abdul can usually be counted on the defend the contestant or at least to state her criticism ruefully. Then there is Simon. I just brace myself when it is his turn. The annoying thing is, I often agree with him--the far out exception being the personal criticisms he makes (big eyes? bad hair? bad outfit?) which often have little or nothing to do with the performance. He obviously isn't lacking in the ego department but leans towards the contestants who are more humble. But his peccadillos no doubt keep viewers from nodding off.

No comments: