Sunday, March 11, 2007

Spring Forward

Nature took that phrase to heart with the most excellent weather we had today. The usual temperature is 60 degrees and we had 70--Yay! for us. I got out in the yard and puttered. Finally chopping off the dead tops on plants which seem to have live roots, and filling the bird feeders, which were picked clean this week. (Probably by the fat squirrels which hang upside down in ludicrous positions, but I'm not complaining.) A flicker shrieked at me but didn't make an appearance in the yard. Then there was the one-note tiny bird in the neighbors pear tree that went bling bling bling bling bling. They take a critical interest when I fuss with their feeders. What a glorious day! I want more like this one.

My daffodils started opening on Friday and they have gladdened my heart so much. Ridiculous, maybe, when everyone and her brother has them blooming--but they were my yellow trumpets. They have an interesting perfume. There were also a couple of wayward violets blooming on the curb line next to the car. I have to applaud their tenacity, considering that everyone and her dog walks on them.

I undertook to do some wire manipulation this evening and learned a few things--1) I am very rusty; 2) I can't substitute 18 gauge for 20 guage some projects--which might be more to do with my strength than the flexibility of the wire but whatever; 2) conversely, if I use 26 or 28 guage wire (for a different project) it is so flexible that it bends/kinks easily; and 3) when creating intricate components I will probably make a lot of dogs along the way, in order to come up with the necessary number of acceptable ones. I don't think there are any life lessons in my playing with the wire, but it sure seemed appropriate for this fine day.

No comments: