Monday, March 06, 2006

Catching Up

Admiring friend: 'My, that's a beautiful baby you have there!'
Mother: 'Oh, that's nothing--you should see his photograph.'

Catching Up
I dragged my foot setting up this blog, because I know how infrequently I do anything on a routine schedule. Well, feed myself and feed my kitties. But that doesn't count--the cats don't let me off the hook, in fact tyrannize me! and eating is something I have to work to avoid, rather than the reverse.
So here I am with lots of stuff that has been littering my brain, waiting for an outlet.

Like the Olympics.

I have been watching the Olympics since moving to OR in 1988. (Before that I did not have a TV. If I did not have one now I might accomplish more, like writing here, but who knows?) This year I watched every minute possible, and still missed more than I would have liked. I loved the big opening ceremony, with the runner and the lighting of the torch, which, as my grandson said, was awesome. I am a sucker for the sentiments of international peace and good will, what can I say? I also get a high from the true athlete's work ethic and I get teary eyed when an American wins. For instance, I could watch Apolo Anton Ohno win his 500m gold metal again and again and never tire of his glow of happiness. (Actually, I do revisit that moment, at apoloantonohno.com) Or, what a high, watching Sasha Cohen pull out a medal after two falls!

But I was a little disappointed this year at the antics of some of the American athletes. I would not say that I wanted to bag the whole Olympic experience, but I could not help wondering why we often appear to be acting like jerks, without any manners or respect for the occasion. They asked Bode Miller if he planned to compete in Vancouver. His reply was noncommittal, like, 'I don't know maybe.' Why would anyone sponsor Bode Miller for the competition in Vancouver? Hmmm. Could be he is going to grow up in the next 4 years?

No comments: