Thursday, March 09, 2006

Floppy Flakes

I am trying to establish a routine here: Yoga--Breakfast--Internet--Walk. So I pushed off about half an hour ago and managed 2 extra blocks, despite the weather. Portland does have snow! Big floppy flakes on a kamikaze mission, coming in at a slant from the South and diving hard and fast at the sidewalk, to magically disappear. I only saw two other people while out there--a couple, walking huddled under an umbrella. The mosses are that vivid green I love. New growth?--don't know anything about mosses. My eyes kept taking them in. On one of those raised gardens, that come about to my armpit, the gardener (optimist) had put out several decorative tiles. On the wall, carefully placed, was a chunk of limestone with moss growing on it, not much yet, but beginning to flow over the edges. That perfect green.

When I came up on my porch, the feral Siamese-mix stray ran desperately in all directions. She has blue eyes that can be seen at forty yards, and four white boots. Her life is a hard one, but I know there are at least three people who take her plight to heart. I was glad to get home and take off my wet clothes. Thanks to my Goodwill Landsend gortex, I stayed dry, but my boots and jeans soaked through, in just 45 min.

1 comment:

Jen said...

I am enjoying your walking reports very much!