Saturday, March 11, 2006

Revisionist Walkabout

I got out late today--it was looking dark and I expected rain before getting back home and I was right. But I did not walk yesterday because of 'prior commitments,' so it felt important to push myself. (I look forward to the time when no pushing is necessary.)

The same moss that glowed the day of the snow was yellowish, sort of rusty, some places nearly amber, today. Chlorophyll shortage, because it is overcast? I definitely have to learn more about mosses.

I have to revise some of my impressions from those other walks. That little ugly bush looked cute today--it was be covered with buds. Now I can't wait to see what it will look like, when they open. And the leaves weren't so miniscule, either. Ranged in size to as big as my thumbnail. The flowers on the variegated Daphne are, more accurately, a deep rose, rather than burgundy. Obviously what I remember is not always accurate. Another reason for getting a camera!

I added two more blocks, but boy those last four seemed long. About three blocks from home I had to walk out around a car parked on the sidewalk, and turned my left foot. Got a sharp pain. Worrisome, since at Christmas I was hobbling around with a cane, after mysteriously injuring it. (Getting old ain't for wimps.) But, after a few strides, it felt just fine.

No comments: