Friday, March 31, 2006

Monopoly

My two youngest granddaughters, cousins aged eight and nine, were here for a sleep-over the night before last. They are of course adored by this grandmother and I cherish the time I get to spend with them. They spent lots of time online playing Battle On on Adventure Quest. I am not sure that is educational, but they had such a great time I was loathe to kick them off the computer. They made up songs about the game and sang them and their singing was indeed music to my ears. They also sang Frere Jaques very sweetly and in tune, by lord.

But the best time during the twenty-four hours they were here for me was when we all played Monopoly. The eight year old is a master at that game, her cousin and grandmother novices. It was hilarious. The first day we played (for three hours) I was lucky and accumulated so much cash and land (Boardwalk, railroads and utilities in my generous portfolio) that when I stopped to cook dinner I split it all between them and what I gave them was probably at least equal to what they had.

But the next day--that is yesterday--was a different story! I had no luck and did so poorly, that my nine yo granddaughter kept patting my hand and telling me that she was truly sorry I was doing so badly. But I would not trade that game for tickets to Cirque Du Soleil! I laughed more yesterday than I have in weeks together. And laughter IS the best medicine.

No comments: