Monday, March 06, 2006

the Oscars, thumbnail version

"If I repent of anything, it is very likely to be my good behaviour." Henry David Thoreau


Well, I can't complain. I only saw one movie--Breakback Mountain, so how can I judge? But I can still regret that Breakback Mountain did not win for acting or picture. I thought of that movie and those two guys for weeks afterward. At all sorts of odd moments. Found myself crying while driving over to pay the rent. Thinking of them while scrubbing counters, taking out the trash. The film sprouted many conversations.

It is hard for me to imagine that any of the other films were more moving or memorable. Or the acting more perfect. I will certainly check out the film's competition.

But even as I write that, the ridiculousness of the whole thing strikes me. How can there be only one Best Picture? I think, they could have more than one winner. ( I am a weenie.) But no, that doesn't make sense either. How many? But we can look at the list of nominees and think: THOSE were the best pictures of 2005, judged by a jury of their peers.

After seeing the movie I read the short story by Annie Proulx. I have not read anything else of hers, despite trying, but I admired that short story very much. It seemed to me that she described their lives with exact details of the sort only guys of that period could know. But, while reading the story, I admired the screenplay even more. Of course McMurtry and Ossana had the advantage of the director and esp. the cameraman, but they expanded the story and showed and brought to life what she described.


On the lighter side, I love the frou frou and glitz of the occasion. Now why won't they leave Theron's dress alone? It was an amazing construct--probably way too sophisticated for the occasion and certainly for the commentators.

1 comment:

Jen said...

I saw NONE of the nominated films, I am somewhat shocked to realize. I read a great quote earlier by William H. Macy (Felicity Huffman's husband) about how the awards are essentially marketing, and how it's hard because they mean everything, and nothing all at once. let me find the link.. go here, and scroll down a bit to "Loving her pumpkinhood."

And you and I are two of only about 5 people who think Charlize's dress was not an abomination. I thought she had a great 60's look going on with the makeup and hair. the dress didn't really thrill me, but it didn't fill me with revulsion either. come on people, there are much uglier dresses out there! ::cough::Naomi Watts:: cough::